I am writing this before I go on holiday, in the knowledge that we already have a booking at the Tamarind House Restaurant to look forward to.
This book was written by Sue Carruthers nearly ten years ago and its sub-title is Tropical Recipes From Rarotonga And The Pacific Islands. Sue says, “Kia Orana. South Seas Cuisine is a celebration of the abundance and diversity of tropical fruit, vegetables and fresh fish found in the Pacific Islands. This together with locally grown spices, herbs and the flavours of coconut, ginger, tamarind and vanilla, have helped me to create a personal collection of savoury and sweet dishes that will bring the magic of the tropics into your kitchen – no matter where you might live.”
by Sue Carruthers, Tamarind House Restaurant, Rarotonga, Cook Islands, 2010, Woods Creative, Rarotonga.
The book is available on Amazon
Here is a recipe from the book:
The Easiest Ever Coconut Ice Cream
Ingredients (serves 10-12)
- 2 litres vanilla ice-cream
- 3 cups coconut milk powder
- Slightly soften the vanilla ice-cream. Scoop into the bowl of a food processor with a blade, or use a bowl and hand held electric beater.
- Pour in the coconut milk powder and beat quickly.
- Scoop ice-cream back into container and freeze till firm, at least 6-8 hours in the Tropics